1/15/2015

Bad Joke?

Batman: The Killing JokeBatman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


“So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there's always madness. Madness is the emergency exit.”


I do not normally read these kinds of Graphic Novels, involving a superhero. But since my chief is a fan of Alan Moore's story and art (and I suppose a fan of this kind) he let me read one of his brother's collections in one sitting.

The Noir vibe of Joker's back-story made us look into the Sepia-colored-past of one of Batman's biggest villains. In the first few panels of this brownish tones, we saw that he lacked the self-esteem, feeling desperate for his wife and the incoming baby. This part of his life portrayed some of the make-or-break scenarios that tug our sensitivity, or might as well, increased our sympathy quotient.

In mere less-than-a-hundred pages, we tried filling in the gaps. The open-ended sequence of 9 panels in the last page - when the police light became visible and the rain got stronger - Alan Moore nailed that cliffhanger.

It made me wonder at our protagonist - if he, known as the more rational, used the emergency exit.



View all my reviews

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento