2/23/2014

Valentine Read for Two Years

What We Talk About When We Talk About LoveWhat We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



“All this, all of this love we're talking about, it would just be a memory. Maybe not even a memory. Am I wrong? Am I way off base?”


In the first read of the book, I made it part of the 2013-reading challenge and a Valentine read. Curious of the genre called dirty realism, it gave me a hangover by having the collection of stories ending abruptly - or not even ending, at all. It's just there - stuck in you. Later did I know (view spoiler) that this is one effective literary device to engage the readers to think deeper and introspect, and maybe, to sympathize with the characters in the short story.

In the second read of the book,(view spoiler) I even considered the tonality and the technicality of the short stories. I appreciated the usage of alcohol as a literary device. In addition, it amused me how one statement can change a mood, from melancholia to angst. Imagine the power of words and its capability to make the reader think.

Disclaimer: I still love Viewfinder, as one of my favorites in the short story collection. And I learned to love Everything Stuck To Him. While when asked for the least favorite, it was Popular Mechanics



View all my reviews

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento