4/18/2021

A Tale of the Mountains

Bone TalkBone Talk by Candy Gourlay
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I liked it.

The book gave me a variety of emotions to ponder on. Some, even extreme emotions of wishing death. Lols I think it goes with the age and my angst with the kupal na Amerikano sa mundong ibabaw.

I read this book because I wanted to join the book discussion of National Book Development Board where Bodjie Pascua was a moderator. In the first meeting, we tackled on Chapters 1-18, about Samkad's desire-bordering-obsession to become a man, their life in Bontoc, and his father's quest to fetch his brother (from another mother).

Little do I know that I wasn't able to put it down, when I read about Mangili, the tribal war context, and the arrival of the Americans. Those Americans.

In any case, the fight scenes/violence were graphic even for kids 10-12 yrs of age, but I think this os necessary to amplify the voice and the struggles of our primary character, Samkad. I felt the inner voices telling him as he did things, even sometimes it felt like a move out of instinct.

This book is an adventure. And I miss travelling again. Thank you Ms. Candy for taking me back to the mountains.

View all my reviews

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento