1/15/2014

Manga Perspective of Hiroshima

Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry BlossomsTown of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms by Fumiyo Kouno

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


"May you grow as strong and as gentle as the sakura tree."


In this simple author's note at the end of the manga, she was able to portray the lives of the people years after the World War. In this simplistic pastel colors and 1980's style of art, she was able to convey the message of hope and its absence to people, as well as how the Japanese were recovering from the atomic bomb in Hiroshima.

I may not understand other references like the baseball, the pop song and the radio show, but in one panel it tugged my heart to cry and appreciate the peace that we possess today.

This book gave me a reminder to be grateful for I never have to re-experience their pain to achieve the state of peace we have today.



View all my reviews

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento