3/25/2021

SSSB (for the record, it's Triple S - B)

Some side notes — I was trying to locate my Toastmasters Speeches in Facebook Notes from way back 2011 and for some reason, the notes themselves are very elusive. Was the Facebook notes section archived or deactivated? I was not even aware of this shift, really. In the meantime, I shall copy and paste whatever transcript that I can find.

--

Note: This is my Basic Speech Project 4 for the BUTTER N' TOAST TOASTMASTERS CLUB. Thanks for the hospitality and allowing me to be your Guest Speaker (aka Training Ground for my Club Contest). It was a privilege to meet the TM of the PM - Sir Ed Ebreo, ACS (who maybe was a bit angry because I've got more HA-HAs than the host himself! hehehehe), Sir, saludo ako at nakilala kita (sa blogsite kasi ko first nakita ang name mo). I am glad also to be "screened" by a Seasoned Toastmaster, DTM Pat Pascua. Thanks for the reinforcements - and don't forget - I'll be seeing you in the DISCON! (SELF-DECLARATION)

Oh yeah!!! Nakita ko run yung friend sa review school na si JM Guevarra! JM, join the association of the Public Speakers! Paramihin natin ang mga CPAs by Profession sa ganitong field! :) Magsama ka pa dali!! :)

The Butter N' Toast TMC conduct their meetings every 2nd and 4th Thursday Nights at the Makati Stock Exchange, Penthouse level, Activity Room A. I would encourage you to at least see the sights on how they conduct their events. 

For those who are not informed about this club, I joined the Toastmasters club last 04 November 2010 to hone my public speaking skills. I would like to encourage and to invite all of you guys to be a kibitzer to a Toastmasters Club Meeting. Ours (El Presidente) is done every first and third Thursday of the month, 7PM at Max's 2nd Floor Liberty Center, Shaw Blvd, Mandaluyong City.

--

Good evening, fellow toastmasters. 
Let me give you a itsy-bitsy information that would either make or break you: 27 days has passed since New Year’s Eve; 7 days before Chinese New Year (mouths Keung Hee Huang Chai) – and 18 days to go before Valentine’s Day! Weeh! (ironic tone of excitement)

If you are single, then Valentine's Day may not be your favorite time of the year. Seeing couples, young and old, celebrating their love for each other can make you a bit envious. At my age, some of my friends are just starting to look for their respective dates for the V-Day; some are starting to look for their soul mate for life. Some are thinking of settling down while some are just starting to bring the house down.

(Audience did not laugh, dead air for three seconds)
Oh, the jokes on me then! (ad lib)
(Audience laughed)

As for me, I am still a SSSB. What’s a SSSB? It’s

STATUS: SINGLE SINCE BIRTH!

Any other brave soul who belongs to this club? Come on, don’t be shy!
(If someone raises, congratulate; if none, say, OH SAD! The joke is on me then)

Luckily, for the fun of the night, TM Ton and TM Alvin raised their hands, ALTHOUGH EVERYONE knew they are definitely in a relationship!

Given that I am a SSSB, Should I be frantic? Should I panic? Should I feel pressure? Should I feel unsure? Or Should I feel none of the above? If I say “I am as happy as the sunflower smiling to the serene sunshine”, would you believe it? (laughter from the audience) If I say “It’s a nightmarish nightmare gnarling over my weepy heart”, would you second it?

So the million dollar question now is how should a SSSB handle the situation? Let me share a secret with you! This secret would not only be the answer to your questions, but will also help you get through the day when all you can see are pink and red! This secret would change your SSSB life forever. This is a powerful tool that would make you see things in a different light. And it will only cost you five words! Listen closely:

IT’S ALL IN YOUR HEAD!

(Audience, in their faces said "WHAT?")

I just told you, Ladies and Gentlemen – It’s all in your head!
It’s all in your thoughts.
It’s all about the way you think and the way you see things.
It’s all about perspective.

Whenever you start internalizing, it is slowly going to the visualizing stage, and then you go actualizing it.

Last week, I attended as a guest in a Table Topics Contest. Yeah, I felt the blood racing and heart pumping hype during the program, but that’s another matter. What struck me is the table topic itself –
“Our language reveal our thoughts; our action reflect our character; our habits predict the future.”

So you might now be asking, “What does have to do with Valentine’s Day or the membership in the SSSB Club?” Can’t you see? There’s a catharsis: IT’S ALL IN YOUR HEAD! It’s all about you and it depends a whole lot on you! Now, let’s apply this cathartic understanding: Sir JM, throw me a question, if I feel the pressure of having no date in the coming valentines. Come on, don’t be shy! (JM, being the shy type, aids no reply)

Oh, you're shy. How about TM Ton, throw me a question, if I feel the pressure of having no date in the coming valentines.

(Ton, being the jester type, said May I take you to dinner?)

That's another question! So, TM Ed, throw me a question, if I feel the pressure of having no date in the coming valentines. (Ed, being the kind type, said "Do you feel the pressure of having no date on Valentines?")

“No, not really.”
(Dead air for three seconds)
Of course I feel the pressure! But then again, it’s all in the head!

I would rather think that valentines day this is the perfect time to party with friends, do some tugsh-tugsh gimmicks, or do some lalalalala sing-along. Or this is the perfect opportunity to date yourself – let your body go aahhh (relaxing tone) to the wonders of the spa.

Does it sound bitter or better? Again, it’s all in your head.

If you let yourself be overwhelmed with the sudden influx of flowers, balloons, chocolates, and stuffed toys everywhere, then you’ll definitely be bitter, envious, and feel bad about being alone. And if you focus on what you don’t have, a “boyfriend / girlfriend”, then you’ll miss out all the other great things that you have.

So everyone, especially if you have the same situation as I am, have to yet experience relationships, heed this simple tip. If someone asks you – do you feel lonely when you’ve got no date on Valentine’s Day? First, think of all the blessings and opportunities you have received throughout the year. (ad lib, I passed the Board Exam, weeh! I belong to DOF, weeh!! Benefits are being paid, weeh!! First time having credit card, weeh!!! Allowed for Graduate Studies and to Teach, weeh!!!!) Then, think of the things you may enjoy even without a date. Finally, declare,

“No, not really. I've got lots on my plate. I am still savoring it, eating it all, before that dessert comes. And yes, it will be the sweetest dessert of all.”

See? I told you, it’s all in the head.

---

Evaluation Proper:

I thought TM Ton is tasked to do that; but nevertheless, it was DTM Pat who made some notations on my speech. :)

STRONG POINTS:
You "owned" the stage. You feel comfortable with the audience. The title is catchy and attention-getting. Vocal variety, animation, and body language are all present. You have a way of working with words (i.e. "perspective" "bring the house down", "internalizing, visualizing, actualizing", "savoring before the dessert comes") and you used the power of repetition (i.e. "It's all in your head") and alliteration ("sunflower smiling to the serene sunshine").

AREAS TO IMPROVE:

1. Work with pronunciation: Catharsis is pronounced with accent on the second syllable, not on the first. Same as cathartic. Also, information is an abstract noun. put more appropriate prepositions ( i.e. pieces of)
2. Remove the article (i.e. the New Year's eve, the Valentines day, the couple)
3. Next time, do not wear clothes (i.e. jackets) that have side pockets. Hands tend to be placed there, whether intentionally or not, to remove the pressure during the delivery of the speech. (napansin pala niya yun? ako nga hindi ko alam na ganoon na ginagawa ko! hihih)
4. You have an impact to the audience, not to the notes - SO DROP THE NOTES! (I will, I will...)

ENDING AFFIRMATION - GOOD JOB! :)

(inputted 27 January 2011)


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento