3/25/2021

The Little Thing (aka The Fairy Tale Lover)

Some side notes — I was trying to locate my Toastmasters Speeches in Facebook Notes from way back 2011 and for some reason, the notes themselves are very elusive. Was the Facebook notes section archived or deactivated? I was not even aware of this shift, really. In the meantime, I shall copy and paste whatever transcript that I can find.


--

Here's the deal: These are not the exact words that I rendered in the speech tonight!

Don't expect anything, because I rearrange some statements and concepts. Maybe its the effect when you are nervous. But whatever, this is my contest piece. And this serves as my Basic Speech Project No.6 (Vocal Variety) for the El Presidente Toastmasters Club. Today is the celebration of the Chinese New Year, and today is an auspicious night. Happy! :D I won the second place. (considering that this is my first time to do public speaking). I also happy that some of my classmates in MBA are there to support me, and able to record my contest piece (and this is the first time I see myself in a video! Weird... just weird!) Sayang wala yung ibang mga officemates ko to see me rendering the piece. At least they could have explained why I go out of the office early on Thursdays.

For those who are not informed about this club, I joined the Toastmasters club last 04 November 2010 to hone my public speaking skills. I would like to encourage and to invite all of you guys to be a kibitzer to a Toastmasters Club Meeting. Ours is done every first and third Thursday of the month, 7PM at Max's 2nd Floor Liberty Center, Shaw Blvd, Mandaluyong City.

--


Madam Contest Chair, fellow toastmasters, and welcomed guests: I have a confession.

At this age, I am still a poignant fairy-tale lover.

I love it when stories begin with “Once Upon a Time” and end in “Happily Ever After”. I love majestic castles and magnificent sceneries; happy songs and jolly dances. I love the stories of beautiful princesses and charming princes. I love watching them in mushy scenes and hearing their cheesy lines. I love them riding on a noble steed and doing the tiring chase, heart-pumping battles and blood-rushing encounters.

I’m looking forward to each story as it unfolds a wonderful, awesome adventure. Don’t you?

I especially love the scene where…

Ariel, the first time she saw Prince Eric, sang with excitement (♪♫ I don’t know when, I don’t know how, but I know something is starting right now… Out of this sea, wish I could be part of your world ♪♫) And when Belle, at the ball, Mrs. Potts sang (♪♫ Tale as old as time, true as it can be… barely even friends, then somebody bends, unexpectedly ♪♫)

It’s you know… it’s that warm, fuzzy feeling. Don’t deny it; you feel those goose bumps too!

And as you immerse yourself in its story, you would only sigh and say, “Awww, everything is so perfect!” 
And you believe that this is the happy ending.
But then suddenly, something goes wrong.

The witch placed a curse, and thus, a series of unfortunate events happened. A dark secret resurfaces. And then you would hear wistful whimpers and hurtful sobs. And you would hear a wicked, devilish laugh! (Wicked laugh) It overpowers the castles, sceneries and moments, and you would feel that all hope is lost.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, you would feel that everything is impossible, that there’s no way to bring back things the way it should be. And yes, one point in time, in my life, I felt that too.

When I was ten, I dreamed of having a beautiful sister, a princess in the family, gifted with utmost beauty and golden voice. And then she was born! She was perfect! It’s a wish come true. She had the rosy cheeks, a perfect nose, and a pair of charming eyes. Everything was just perfect.

Suddenly, a witch came and gave her a curse.

Three months later, she was diagnosed with sepsis – a poison in the blood; a deadly poison that would kill her at a young age! It’s like the moments when Princess Snow White ate the poisoned apple, and when Princess Aurora pricked her finger in the spindle.

The moment when the antagonist bestowed that blight, everything fell down – everything was lost.

But no, we never gave up. We did not lose hope. We believed that she would be well. And through our prayers and deepest wishes (of course, with the help of the doctors), a miracle happened.

It was like; she wakes from a deep slumber. Today, she is a teenager, aspiring to be the next broadway sensation. She is fit as a fiddle. So, what is the lesson of this story? Let me tell you this: LIFE IS NOT A FAIRY TALE! LIFE IS NOT A FAIRY TALE!

You are not a prince (points to a man), and you are not a princess (points to a woman)! Your do not live in royal castles and in cave of wonders.

Rather, your life is a journey.
You are a traveler over ups and downs.
You are a dreamer.

So the question now is if life is a journey, not a fairy tale, is it possible to transform that journey into a fairy tale? I DECLARE, YES!

Dreams may not always have a happy ending, but you have this powerful thing. The little thing called faith. And this little faith will take you to greater heights, to breaking limits, to defying gravity. So, you’re not a prince, not a princess, but if you have faith – in God and in yourself, you have the ingredients to living happily ever after.

Believe, everyone, Believe! Through believing, you’ll know that everything will fall into right places. That everything is just right.

It’s what Cinderella sings it:

♪♫ No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true… ♪♫


---

EVALUATION PROPER:

Improvement on:

1. Reorganizing the speech - One said that parang dalawang beses kang nag-open at nag-close ng speech. It's supposed to happen only ONCE.

2. Pauses and Poses - Whatever you say, it should reflect on the posture, and on facial gestures.

3. Do not question the audience. If you always ask the lesson / morale in your speech, some would dare answer: WALA! It would be better if you urge / challenge them. You can shift the question to match up your expected response.

4. Encourage yourself to practice more, and to let your story be known. It is better if you share lots of your personal experiences in the speech, because these are the plus factors in the "substance" of your speech.


Positive Note:

1. YOU HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BE A DISTINGUISHED TOASTMASTER! (Nothing and Everything follows! heheh)

BASTA HAPPY AKO TONIGHT! THIS IS A VERY FRUITFUL EVENT! :D

Oh yeah, I'll be seeing you all in the District 75 Convention in the Manila Ocean Park! Looking Forward to it!

(inputted: 04 Feb 2011; contest happened at 03 Feb 2011, 7PM)

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento